Order by phone 1-800-603-0004 Open Mon-Fri 8am-5pm PDT
Sale Now On!
PGA Tour to make big changes in Q-School
The PGA Tour has taken a big step towards qualifying change, with a significant overhaul that would include starting the official season in the fall instead of waiting for the next calendar year.

PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem presented the plan Tuesday night ahead of the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines.

The plan is for the top 75 players from the Nationwide Tour and the top 75 players who failed to keep their PGA Tour cards to play a three-tournament series. The top 50 after that series would earn cards with the rest going to Q-school, where only Nationwide Tour status would be available.

Reactions from the players were mixed following the meeting in San Diego.

Dustin Johnson, who made it through Q-school on his first try out of college and has won in each of his four years on the PGA Tour, said on Twitter, "Just left the player meeting here in San Diego!!!! I don't like any of the ideas about changing the tour!!! There is NO reason to!!!!!!!!!

"I guess they're looking for a new direction, but I'm still on the fence," Rod Pampling said. "I understand both sides. We just need to get more information.

We were told how last year was one of the greatest years on tour. So why are we reinventing the wheel? Obviously, it's forward progress. But is this the right way? I don't know."

Geoff Ogilvy also said he liked the way the PGA Tour was now.

"But I quite liked the way the tour was before the FedEx Cup, and I actually like the tour better now with the FedEx Cup," he said.

"I thought it was ridiculous having the FedEx Cup, but now it happen, and I'm like, 'This is pretty good.' Every year it's gotten better. So the tour hasn't made that many missteps in the last 20 or 30 years.

"It's probably going to end up the right thing to do."


Back to news list